Tuesday 5 March 2013

Things are Good

I talked to my Doctor today. Since we just moved here, this was only the second time I've seen him but I must say that I really like him. Nice guy and very thorough, which is a good combination for a doctor. He's kinda cute, too :) Anyways, today we were discussing how I am feeling. I'd weaned myself off the antidepressants & he wanted to make sure that it went well and that I was feeling ok. So I told him, "things are good" -- because they are.

Which is kind of weird for me. It's been a long time since I've felt this positive about Life in General. Of course, not everything is perfect, but I like where I am and that I can see that I'm headed in the right direction. Finally.

I'm crazy busy, which I love. I'm probably not as productive as I could be but I'm getting better at using my time efficiently. And, now that I've gotten my work life moving and sort of under control, I can start to work on my personal life. Like joining a gym, which I did today, too. It's been 16 months since I last exercised regularly and I hate the flab and the 15 lbs that have appeared since then. My birthday is in 3 months and I intend to be fitter and 15 lbs lighter by then. Go me!

While I was sitting in the waiting room at the doctor's office, there was a woman beside me reading a huge text book. I realized that I really miss being in school. I miss learning. I went to a seminar on the weekend, where I learned some business skills to make my jewellery business more successful (and, also, my reiki business if I choose to apply what I learned there). While that was interesting & sort of fun, it wasn't, well, formal education. And that's what I miss. Maybe I'll have to look into taking a continuing education class or something. Hmm...

And, yes, I realize that this is what I do.  That I'm an all-or-nothing kind of person. Either I am completely unmotivated and do nothing, or I get motivated and want to do everything. I know my plate is kind of full already with 2 kids, 2 businesses, and I really do want to paint/fix up my house so I should probably leave well enough alone. But I just really do enjoy going to school...

I haven't given an update on the cancer front but things are even pretty good there, too. My Dad finished his treatment (chemo) in January and had colostomy reversal surgery today. He was *so* looking forward to getting rid of that stupid bag -- and I can't blame him one bit. Hopefully he will heal quickly and will be back to his regularly scheduled golf program this summer. My sister is still on chemo. It's been over a year now and she is, quite simply, exhausted. The cancer itself seems to have stabilized for now, but it's still there so she's still undergoing treatment. She's lost 20 lbs, which is great, but as she said, there are better ways of losing it.

What else? I am looking forward to a bit of a holiday next week as my kids go spend March Break with their Dad in Mexico. I don't have any extravagant plans but I would like to spend a couple of days visiting people and trading work with all my healer-type friends (massage, reiki, CST, chiropractic, Bowen, esthetic, etc). I am, of course, fairly nervous about sending my kids off on an airplane alone but given that they've flown (domestically & internationally) more than most adults, I'm sure they'll be fine. 

And I think I can say with some certainty that I will be fine, too. I've been telling myself that for the past few years but now I'm starting to believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment