Monday 20 August 2012

Unpacking

It's been 10 days since we moved into the new house.  I've been busy, yet also very isolated: no friends, no internet and no car.  Slowly all of that is getting sorted.  We finally got internet at home a few days ago and I will get my car this afternoon.  Of course, not everything has gone smoothly and I've been very frustrated at times but hopefully soon we'll be through the worst of the moving mess and I can settle into our new life here.

My husband is still a couple of hours away at our old place, tying up loose ends there and getting organized before he moves back to Germany for a few months and then, eventually, to Mexico.  Since it's only a short drive away, he's been back and forth every few days to visit (and bring stuff that we couldn't officially pack in the moving shipment).  We definitely get along better when we only see each other sporadically.

He's commented that I seem much happier at the new house -- and I am.  It's a smaller house and much more manageable than our last house.  I'm not intimidated by this one and I think I may actually be able to keep it clean since the thought of it is not so daunting.  I also recalled a conversation I once had with my therapist, about how I had never lived on my own in my own house and how there's a different sort of intrinsic motivation that arises when you're living in your own house -- and I think he's right.  For the first time in my life, I feel like this house belongs to me (which it does).  And so will the car.  Until now, everything has always belonged to other people - my parents or my husband or his company - and it's a good feeling to actually have a few things in my name.  Almost like I'm a real person.

I'm slowly emptying boxes and making the house feel more like a home.  Hopefully we'll have lots of visitors (my sister & nieces were here already) and it won't always be us visiting our old neighbours.  I'm hopeful that once we make some friends here and learn our way around and get settled that we'll be quite happy here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment