Monday 29 March 2010

Dream a Little Dream

I've been told that I need to "marinate myself in my dreams".  I'm supposed to not just dream but dream big and let myself become immersed in the dream.  I don't mean the sleeping kind of dreams but the future plan kind of dreams.  I've been trying to do this but it's not working very well.

I am neither a dreamer  nor a planner.  I have difficulty looking into the future and trying to imagine what will be.  I am also far too pragmatic.  Every time I start to dream, I get all caught up in the how-to's and my visions implode in a mire of doubt and impracticality.  I am far happier living each day as it comes.  On occasion I can vaguely plan a week or even a month or two in advance but I can not think in terms of years down the road.  And I've been told I need to.

I'm supposed to have a goal in life.  Something to work towards so that when I get there I will feel a sense of accomplishment and goodness about myself.  I completely understand the theory and I agree that it would be a positive experience.  But it all boils down to the practicalities, which I must first learn to ignore, so that I can let myself dream.  I must turn the mire into marinade and try to look into the future with an open mind and believe that there really are endless - achievable - possibilities.  Can I do that?

2 comments:

  1. hmm, you are making me hungry...
    marinade, wine, tickle, tickle :)

    Ps. All we are given is today. Find peace in that day. Tomorrow will come of its own accord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...mire into marinade..." Now that's good.

    "I am far happier living each day as it comes," you say; this is a solid foothold as you climb. Pragmatism is awesome, but lay yourself a few flagstones in the near future to help guide yourself to (or find) that Life Goal.

    Be like Willy Wonka: "We are the music makers. We are the dreamers of dreams."

    ReplyDelete