Monday 14 June 2010

Person to Person

My husband said something curious to me the other day when we were talking about how I have been changing over the past couple of months.

Obviously, all the efforts I have been making to become a better Me are doing something.  I think they are doing positive things.  I feel more like the old Me, the Me I was in my early 20's: confident, lively, sexy, fun; someone with things to do and places to go.  I am getting better at recognizing my weaknesses and flaws, which is enabling me to tackle them and to improve upon myself in what I hope is a positive manner.

The conversation I had with my husband came about after having discussed something that had upset me.  Until recently, I never would have said anything, being the chronic conflict avoider that I am.  But the new me brought it up, thus acknowledging my hurt feelings and pointing out to him that said feelings had been hurt.  It was a calm, poignant discussion and went very well.  My husband then said that he appreciated that I had brought it up and that he finds all these changes in me very positive ones.

And that, as a result, I am now more of a person.

Seriously?  Was it that bad?  Was I so chronically dependent and unmotivated that I had actually ceased to be a person in my own right?  Really?

If that's the case, then it seems this journey is going to be a whole lot longer and more intricate than I thought.  It's no longer just about becoming a better Me, but about becoming a whole Me. But no worries, I'm pretty sure I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment