Tuesday 14 June 2011

Don't Stop Believing

I heard it again today: "You have a gift, young lady".  This time it came from a client in the massage clinic, who is a 62-year-old student at my school, due to graduate a few months after me, so I like to think she's a fairly good critic.  I've been getting rave reviews from all my clients at the clinic lately.  So much so that they have even been asking for me.  Before I started at the clinic all my friends and family were generous with their praise and compliments, but part of me always felt like they *had* to be nice; that it was expected.  Now, after getting positive feedback from complete strangers -- and, better yet, having repeat clients -- I'm really starting to believe that maybe, just maybe, they're right.

But what does that mean if they're right?  It means I give a fabulous massage and make people feel wonderful and that thrills me.  It means I have conquered Step 1 -- and now it's time for Step 2.  Anyone who knows me well, also knows that I have a strong practical side, which is wondering if and how this gift is going to translate into something more concrete (ie. money).  Because, at the end of the day, while healing and helping people is certainly my goal, I also need to make a living doing it.  So I guess I question if I am really *that* good, that people will want to pay me to make them feel wonderful -- and keep coming back, and tell all their friends.

For possibly the first time in my life, I have plans and dreams and I need to know if they are within reach; that there's a chance they might happen.  I need to keep believing that it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment