Wednesday 28 July 2010

Making a List and Checking it Twice

I am not a maker of lists.  The only list I keep is for groceries, which is not so much for myself but so that the rest of my family can write down what they want me to purchase at the store.  However, I do have friends who keep lists and it seems to help them do any number of things from being more organized, more productive or simply just keeping track of their lives.  I think I should try making lists.

There are many I could make:
  1. Things to Do Today
  2. Things to Do In the Near Future
  3. Things to Do Eventually
  4. Things that Make me Happy (so I can refer to it and do more of those things)
  5. Things that Make me Unhappy (so I can avoid those things)
  6. Things I Would Like to Learn
  7. Places I Would Like to Go
Oh, I could go on and on.  It's not really the making of lists that is the problem, but the part where I check them twice.  I tend to lose my lists, or at least forget about them once they are made, which really defeats the whole purpose of having a list since I never check anything off.

But maybe I'll give it another whirl and see if I can make it work this time.  Let's just say that a little more organization (of my thoughts if not my actions) and productivity would not be unwelcome around here.

2 comments:

  1. ah lists! I almost never make grocery lists, but do like the goal oriented ones. I ticked off a few things on my list today;
    - hang hallway mirror
    - re-schedule a missed dr appt
    - re-hang whirligig that my dear friend Janet gave me a few years back in a more appropriate spot

    All things that I can said that I did today. There are several other things on a mental list (well there is a hard copy somewhere, but it lives on mentally most of the time). They live there on a longer term basis and give me reasons to keep moving forward and projects to work on; ie. have roof redone, finish one of my two books, paint my bedroom. None earth-shattering, but just reminders that I am and that I have a purpose when I feel I have naught. Good luck with all your accomplishments today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...I am a *huge* list maker. Love 'em!

    What you need is a MASTER list, a list of all of your lists...

    Well, it works for me. But I'm completely neurotic. :)

    ReplyDelete