Saturday 31 July 2010

The Rules

The Rules are changing.  Every relationship -regardless of its kind - has a set of rules.  These rules are slowly formed as the relationship builds and grows until eventually there they are and there they stay with everyone unaware of them and yet following them.  This works until something changes.

Right now, that something is me.  I am changing and growing and becoming a different Me than I have been for most of the course of my marriage.  As a result the Rules of my marriage and of my relationship with my husband are changing.  (I imagine the Rules with my children are changing, too, but as they themselves are constantly changing, that is to be expected in any case.)  I am not sure how my husband is going to accept these changes, as it means that he must also change and adapt to the new Rules and perhaps make his own new set of Rules. 

The road to self-discovery is not an easy one.  I am paving a new way for myself and my marriage.  It's difficult and it creates a lot of uncertainty but it will be worth it.  It is worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment