Monday 10 September 2012

One of Those Days

I don't know why - maybe it's because it's a Monday;  maybe it's because I'm overly tired; maybe it's because of nothing at all - but this has been one of those days where nothing seems to go quite right.  None of it was major but the accumulation of little things has got me wanting this day to be over so I can start fresh tomorrow, hopefully with better results.

Here's the list of what happened:
- left late for my son's orthodontist appointment
- got 3/4 of the way there only to discover the road is blocked off with police/fire/rescue and a helicopter is circling overhead (later discovered there was a police standoff there and an officer had been killed.  Horrible!) so had to make a huge detour
- arrived at the orthodontist about the time I'd been hoping to leave, putting me 20 minutes behind schedule
- left the orthodontist in good time but, because the road was closed, decided to drive a different way.  My GPS was annoying me so I turned it off, thinking I knew the way.  In theory I did but I got messed up somehow when the one highway split into 3 and ended up on the wrong one going in completely the wrong direction
- finally got myself reoriented and back on the right highway but I've now lost another 20 minutes
- drive like a speed demon in order to get home in time to feed the children and have them make it back to school in time for the second half of the day, which I manage but also get a phone call as I'm already stressed out trying to get them out the door
- decide to go to the store to pick up a few things, namely sketching pencils and a cheap external computer microphone.  Store #1: no luck (but picked up millet sticks for the birds & some batteries for the daughter's keyboard), Store #2: found the pencils but no microphone, waited in line for 10 minutes & didn't move at all so finally found an express line and was able to check out, Store #3: really expensive microphones, Store #4: finally find an affordable microphone & buy it
- get halfway to my car in the parking lot & hear someone yelling "Ma'am!".  I turn & the cashier hands me my debit card, which I'd left at her counter.
- get home & can't get my computer's speakers, mic or webcam to work.  Finally get the speakers & mic configured but there seems to be issues with my webcam

*Sigh*

All this after a fairly nice weekend away.  The kids got lots of social time in with their friends and I treated myself to a movie and enjoyed some quiet time (in addition to all the chauffeuring).  Next time we visit, I'll make sure I plan ahead so I can see some of my friends too.

I guess the nice thing is that even though I've had a less than perfect day, my spirits are still buoyant and I haven't let all the crappy events of today bring me down.  It's kind of encouraging to realize that I can have an off day without it taking over my whole world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment