Friday 18 February 2011

Up 'n' At 'Em

Well, I'm up at least.  After having been down -- very, very down in a deep dark place -- I am back up and functioning in a well-lit world.  This is not to say that I have overcome all the troubles that had me sink into the Depths of Despair* but I have been able to at least find a better, brighter place in which to face them.

This change of perspective happened literally overnight following a conversation I had with a dear friend** in which she gave me a serious virtual and verbal ass-kicking.  It takes a true friend to be able to "tough-love" you into picking yourself up and getting on with things.  There were times during our little talk when I felt like I was a teenager again, being lectured on my wrongdoings and mumbling "I know, I know" as the only form of futile expression I could create.  Because really, I did know.  I knew she was right about everything she was telling me, even though it was not at all what I wanted to hear.  I knew she was right when she said that even though the easiest thing for me to do at the time was to sit in the dark and shun the rest of the world, it was not healthy and was not going to change any of my circumstances.  Sometimes a loving kick in the butt is needed so much more than an understanding, listening ear.  Thank my lucky stars, K knew which role she had to play that night -- and did so with bravado.  She deserves and Oscar for that.  And she deserves the biggest "thank you" that can be mustered, from myself and those around me who were either worried or just plain sick of being around the miserable Me.  K, you truly are a Godsend.  I love you bunches.


* If you unfamiliar with the depths of despair,  please go find yourself a copy of "Anne of Green Gables" by Lucy Maud Montgomery.

** please go visit her at A New Day

1 comment: