Thursday 20 May 2010

Decisions

Decision making has always been difficult for me.  If the decision is not blatantly obvious I find it extremely challenging to make up my mind.  I make lists of pros and cons, weigh all my options and deliberate but still find it so very hard to actually come to a decision -- and harder still to then act upon said decision.

I wonder if this is related to me avoiding conflict and risk.  Or maybe it has to do with an inability to commit. 

Most of the time I am able to get by.  Oftentimes I leave the decision making up to others, but I'm beginning to think that this is perhaps not the best way to do things.  I have become very good at letting life happen to me.  While this has turned out fairly well, I think perhaps I would like to start taking a more active role in the process, which would necessitate learning how to make decisions and then, of course, following through on them.

Practice makes progress, they say, and as I am currently debating a few topics with myself, I will no doubt be able to excercise my decision-making ability fairly frequently in the near future.  The trouble is that when I actually start making decisions for myself, there will be no one but myself to blame for how things turn out...

1 comment:

  1. ... and there is actually nothing wrong with blaming yourself. It is a very healthy thing to do. It makes one reflect and seize opportunities to improve, develop, get better, and ultimately grow. So, make the decisions.

    ReplyDelete