Friday 28 October 2011

Dance Therapy

I went to dance class last night for the first time in 5 months.  I've been pretty down the last couple of weeks and I wasn't sure I was really up for it, but I decided that since I had actually remembered class on the right day and there were no other plans to interfere with my going, it was a Sign that I should go.  So I did.  And I'm very glad that I did.

It was nice to see some faces that I haven't seen in a long time and it was even better to dance again.  I also learned a new dance, called the Earl of Erroll, which I think I will really enjoy once I get the steps down.  There was much talk amongst the other girls of upcoming competitions.  I am certainly not planning to compete anytime soon -- or possibly ever again, although I will welcome opportunities to perform.  But for now, I dance because I love it.  I can't explain why: there is a social aspect to it, which I certainly do need as well, but for me it is really all about the act of dancing.  All I know is that when I dance, I feel good.  Quite simply, it makes me happy -- even when nothing else does. 

After class, I was commended by one of the other dance moms -- simply for dancing.  Yes, she thinks I dance well, and was impressed by how quickly I picked up the new steps, etc but for her, the biggest accomplishment is simply that I do it.  She didn't say anything about my age, but it was implied.  So I guess that's one thing I've got going for me: I don't let my age stop me from learning new things.  Perhaps Highland Dance isn't something most people pick up in their mid-30's but it has done wonders for me, both physically and emotionally and I plan to keep dancing - in some form or another - for a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment