Sunday 22 April 2012

WoW!

Last night I played World of Warcraft for the first time in months.   I haven't been playing long & I don't play often, but until now, the breaks had been much shorter.  The long hiatus was due in part to the fact that the last two times I had played, I had spent the whole time wandering around vainly trying to locate a cave.  Forget about trying to kill Ursal the Mauler -- I couldn't even find him!  So I stopped trying.  Last night, for whatever reason (perhaps due to having watched all 5 seasons of The Guild in a day) I decided to try again.  I could have given up on the quest and picked up another one but I'm one of those people who like to finish what they start.  So I went looking for Ursal's cave.  Again.  And found it!

However, to get to Ursal, I first had to get past 20 or so other creatures on the trail to the cave and he had a bodyguard so there were plenty of fights on the way there.  They didn't all go well.  I probably died about 8 times.  By this point I was incredibly frustrated and seriously considered giving up.  But I was so close and I was improving, learning new tricks and tactics and opitmizing my spells.  So, I decided to give it one last go -- and did it!  I killed Ursal and got some pretty good loot as well.  I also levelled up and got a great reward for completing the quest (new clothes!).  I'd also made quite a bit of cash on the way there and was finally able to learn how to morph into cat form and learn some new spells.  As a result of doing one little thing, I got rewarded all around.  It was awesome!

I ended up feeling very accomplished and pleased with myself, which is not a feeling I'm very familiar with.  I'd already had a fairly productive day (by my standards), having built some Ikea furniture and moved it into my new office space.  Oddly enough, I felt better about myself after having completed a WoW quest than I did after having made a more concrete, positive effort in my real life.  I'm not really sure what that says about me or my life.  It could mean that I should play WoW more often or it could just mean that I should take a step back, relax and try to have some fun a little more often.  Maybe I should try to do both.

No comments:

Post a Comment