Saturday 14 April 2012

My Saviours

Today was a bad day.  A very bad day.  I spent most of it either sleeping or crying.  It wasn't how I'd planned to spend my day but if I've learned anything, it's that you can't plan a breakdown.  Which is exactly how I felt: broken.  I have no idea how much longer I can go on like this: enduring so much pain, fear and worry every single day.  All alone.  I do know that today I just couldn't do it.  At all.

And then 3:20 pm rolled around and my children came home from school and brought with them reports of their day and tales of what had happened to them and others in the past 8 hours and I was swept away by the recounting of having to miss gym class in order to glaze a clay gryphon, hoping that it will turn out the right colour.  And tales of how gullible some boy is.  And how Mr. Math Teacher was asking about the homework I found on the kitchen counter.  And somehow, I managed to find the strength to unload & reload the dishwasher while listening to these stories.  Then suddenly it was time for kung fu lessons so we went and then it was decided that we needed to go to Target straight after class so the children could spend the money they got at Easter.  So we went to Target and had dinner overlooking a busy street and the car dealership on the other side, dreaming about whether we should buy a Triumph, a tractor-trailer (so they can build a fort in the trailer), a convertible or a car like Ramon from the movie Cars for our next vehicle.  And then we did some shopping and I was coerced into buying the movie We Bought a Zoo because we hadn't seen it yet so I bought it on the condition that we would all have to watch it as soon as we got home.  Which we did, but 3/4 of the way through the movie the DVD player died so I had to rig up my laptop to the tv and add some additional speakers so that we could watch the end of it.  And then it was nearly midnight so I shuffled the kids off to bed and realized that I had actually smiled and laughed and forgotten about all of my troubles simply because of them.

They are wonderful, magical creatures and I don't know what I would ever do without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment