Wednesday 19 January 2011

Self-Improvement Junkie

It looks like this will be the Year of Me.  I have started the new year, not with resolutions, but with actions.  I didn't just make plans and empty promises to myself, I just went ahead and started working on a few things that will make me a better, happier, healthier, more satisfied Me.

Over Christmas break, I stopped drinking pop.  It's really amazing how that one little change has completely influenced my diet.  It has made it so much easier to cut out all the unhealthy foods and makes the healthy foods taste that much better.  I am also trying to cut out artificial sweetener and high fructose corn syrup, which is not an easy task, but I am determined to try.  The overhaul was instigated by a few Nutrition and Food Science classes I had at school, which have completely inspired me to eat better.  It's going to involve making new eating habits, taking time to shop and learning how to cook all sorts of new foods, but I'm willing to give it a go.  It's not going to happen overnight, but I'm happy to take it slow & steady.

Then, two weeks ago I joined the gym.  I have been going to the gym off and on for years.  I was not genetically blessed with a lithe body or a high-speed metabolism so I've always had to be pretty vigilant about keeping in shape (and eating properly).  Exercise has been a part of my life for around the past 20 years so when it stops being there, I miss it -- and so does my body.  I am one of those odd people who actually enjoys working out and, naturally, enjoys the benefits of it.  Perhaps it's because, due to my tendency to depression, I notice that seratonin boost a little more than other people.  In any case, I hadn't been working out regularly in over a year an a half and I missed it -- and I was really not impressed with the out-of-shape and overweight version of my body that greeted me every day in the mirror.  So I joined the gym (again) and even got myself a couple of appointments with a personal trainer, who completely kicked my butt but in the best possible way.  I'm still undecided if I should continue with the trainer (so much money!) but I'm thinking I might, just for a couple of months to really get me going and to teach me a few new tricks. 

Also about two weeks ago, I bought myself a guitar.  I went to this fabulous local guitar store, really just to look and inquire about lessons for my daughter but ended up walking out with a beautiful (2nd hand) guitar.  Music is not new for me but it's been a long while since I've played an instrument.  I took piano lessons from age 8-13, took a handful of guitar lessons when I was about 9, played a smattering of instruments in elementary school (mostly flute and trumpet) and then played the baritone in my highschool band (and trumpet in stage band).  I do miss playing and will sit down at the piano whenever I'm at my parents' house.  I've been trying to reconcile getting a piano for myself but given how often we move, it just doesn't make sense.  Guitars, however, are much more portable.  I also had the added inspiration of my 9-year-old daughter, who recently inherited my old childhood guitar.  She's been bugging for lessons, and while I was inquiring about them, I decided that it wasn't too late for me either.  So, starting this weekend, we will be learning to play guitar together. 

January is off to a good start.  I can't wait to see what February has in store!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment