Monday 14 May 2012

Decisions, Decisions

Sometimes being a grown-up sucks.  Like now, for example.  How am I supposed to make a good decision when none of my choices are ideal?  There's not a single option that really makes sense.  Some choices would be easier than others, but that doesn't necessarily make them the better ones.  Easy now doesn't always mean easy - or better - later.  So I'm weighing the pros and cons of today with the pros and cons of the future and ending up at conclusions I never thought I'd be making -- which confuses the hell out of me.  Is this really what I want?  Is this really what's best?

My son was reading a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book tonight.  He even managed to find an ending he hadn't read before.  It would be so nice if life were like one of those books: you make choices and follow along with the story but if you don't like how it ends, you start over and make different choices.  Sometimes you end up at the same place but sometimes you end up somewhere new.  And you get to keep trying and keep making different choices as many times as you want (although there are only 42 possible endings in the book).  But life isn't like that.  Sure, you get you choose your own adventures but only once.  There aren't any do-overs if you don't like the ending.

I guess the best I can do is try to make the best choices I can and try to steer myself toward my ending of choice.  I just hope that I really am making the right decisions and that my story has a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment