Friday 4 May 2012

Melodic Musings

Last night I went to another concert.  It was a completely different experience than the last one, despite being at the same venue.  The last concert was loud and boisterous.  This one was quiet and calm but still enjoyable.

It would have been even more enjoyable had I worn different shoes.  What seemed like a good idea when I left the house didn't stay that way after standing for 3 hours.  While I did appreciate the height advantage the 4-inch heels afforded me, I did not welcome the pain.  It was so distracting that I eventually ended up taking the shoes off and watching the end of the concert barefoot so I could pay attention to the music.

Which was lovely.  Both the opener and the headliner were guitar-playing singer-songwriters, with very pure, melodic voices.

The crowd, as always, was interesting and very diverse.  The concert-goers ranged in age from about 4 to 64, although most of them were college-aged.  Also, a good portion of the audience was Asian (I'm guessing because the headlining singer is part Asian...).  There were a ton of happy couples and at one point I found myself surrounded by them: one couple to my left with their arms around each other who couldn't stop kissing, another affectionate lesbian couple to my right and a couple comprising a very short deaf woman and a fairly large, tall not-deaf man behind me.  In fact, everywhere I looked there were cozy couples, which emphasized the fact that I was there alone.  I was hoping to bump into someone I knew - it happened at the last concert, so not completely unrealistic - but sadly, no such luck.

It was an enjoyable night nonetheless.  It's always good to get out and always good to hear live music.  I have no concrete plans at the moment but there is one concert in particular that I'm considering going to at the end of June.  It's a raucous punk band and they're playing a small club so it should be a fun show.  In any case, I am enjoying my rediscovery of the concert scene and I am very grateful for the opportunity to do more of it.

1 comment:

  1. I love going to concerts but have not braved it alone yet. I admire you for getting out there and doing this. I'm also a bit envious.

    ReplyDelete