Tuesday 29 May 2012

A Long Weekend

It's been a very long weekend.  We got an extra day for Memorial Day, but it seems like last week was more than just 3 days ago...

Saturday I slept a lot, which was good since I hadn't been sleeping well for the week or so prior.  I slept in then my family went to the fair that rolls through town every Memorial Day weekend.  The kids look forward to it and I love the fair, too.  It was a bit rainy when we got there, but it cleared up soon afterwards so we got a nice cool day and no lines for the rides so it worked out really well.  I went on most of the rides with the kids but after a couple of hours, I began to feel a little nauseous so watched as the kids got their fill of the rides (which made me feel old).  I had a nap when we got home and felt better when I got up but still went to bed early.

Sunday was a relaxing day.  My biggest accomplishment was taking my son to see the movie "Battleship", which was pretty awesome and very appropriate for Memorial Day weekend.  Sunday night I talked to my sister, and found out she's been to the ER twice in the past week -- for different things. 

Yesterday, we went to Canada for the day to check out prospective schools and neighbourhoods.  We had a productive day and although it was a long, hot day, we felt good about what we'd seen and, amazingly, both children agreed on which school they liked best.  (Now the challenge is to find a house close to that school.)  We also met some friends for dinner.  We eventually came home - later than anticipated - and I got a text from my sister saying that she's scheduled for surgery next week.

Now let me sum up what is going through my head: my father is having surgery on Monday next week, my sister is having surgery on Wednesday next week, I am turning 40 in 12 days, the reality of moving is beginning to sink in accompanied by all the fears and what-if's.  Not to mention that I'm moving to a different country with my children while their father moves to another continent altogether.  In the meantime, the kids are finishing up their school years with field trips and festivities, I am still volunteering and working (sporadically) and somehow through all of this I am supposed to stay sane.  Thank God I'm medicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment