Tuesday 22 May 2012

Here We Go...

Now that we know for sure that we're moving, we have started telling people.  So far, I haven't told that many and those I have talked to already knew either because they'd heard it from the children or because they've been privy to the daily ups and downs of our immigration status.  Either way it hasn't come as a surprise and while the news of us moving hasn't pleased them, it hasn't surprised them either.

Yesterday, I told our kids' kung fu teacher that we will be moving this summer.  During my initial conversation with the teacher, I could feel the tears starting but I was able to continue the conversation and I got through it fairly intact.  Then, when I thought we were done, he pulled his wife aside (also a teacher) and told her.  Hearing Mr. tell Mrs. that we are moving and how sad he is to be losing one of his favourite students (even though they're not supposed to have favourites), how much they like our family and having her reiterate how sad they are that we are leaving, put me right over the edge.  I turned into a mess of tears and could barely manage to string together a coherent sentence, although I did manage to squeak out that they have been one of the best parts of living here.

And truly, they have.  They have done incredible things for our son, not just by teaching him kung fu but by instilling a quiet confidence in him.  He has struggled with situational mutism (a social anxiety disorder, also called selective mutism) since he was five and these people have managed to get our son to do so many things he wouldn't ordinarily do: lead a group of kids, demonstrate a move in front of a group, get his picture taken.  They have done so much for him without even knowing it (and yes, I do plan to write them a nice, long email telling them).  Our daughter has also benefited from the time she was there, discovering an inner power she didn't know she had.

Until yesterday, I'd managed to talk about moving without crying.  I don't think that will be the last conversation that brings me to tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment